So your visiting Lake Travis. Here are a few ideas / options for your stay. This is a BIG lake. There is no central/single point of access. Lake Travis is 63.75 miles long, and its maximum width is 4.5 miles. The lake covers 18,929 acres. As the “Crown Jewel” of the Central Texas Highland Lakes, Lake Travis is one of the most visited recreational vacation destinations in the state. Lake Travis’ limestone bottom results in it’s unique crystal clear blue waters, making it a freshwater haven for water enthusiasts.
There are four designated “regions” of the lake used to describe access and amenities:
- North Shore – This is the less commercial side of the lake. The community of Lago Vista is located here. The benefit certainly includes a more natural and less urban feel. North Lake Travis remains a beautiful secluded getaway with fantastic amenities.
- South Shore – This is the most commercial side of the lake due to it’s proximity to Austin proper. South lake includes the community of Lakeway and the largest selection of amenities on the lake.
- Spicewood – The west side of Lake Travis include the communities of Briarcliff and Spicewood. Another rapidly growing part of the lake, the west side has easy access and fantastic amenities.
- Volente – The east side of the lake includes the communities of Volente and Jonestown. Easy access from I35 via 620 and nestled up against the North Austin suburbs of Leander and Cedar Park. East Lake Travis is home many marinas, boat rentals and lake fun amenities.
If you are coming to visit Lake Travis you’ll likely be spending some time on the water, and boy does Lake Travis deliver here.
- Parks – If you’re day tripping a visit to one of Lake Travis’ many lakeside parks may be perfect for you. Parks allow for a variety of activities such as picnicking, grilling, swimming, hiking, boat ramp access and more.
- Boat Rentals – There are an abundance of watercraft rental options on Lake Travis. Houseboats, party barges, ski / wakeboard / wakesurf boats, pontoon boats, jet skis and wave runners, sailboats, kayaks and stand-up paddle boards, and flyboarding.
- Marinas – There are 20+ marina’s on Lake Travis. These facilities include boat access, covered and uncovered on-water slips, drystack, yacht clubs, ships stores and fuel docks.
- Boat Sales and Service – If your looking to become a watercraft owner, Lake Travis is home to some of the nations top Boat Dealers. If your watercraft needs service or towing, local Lake Travis businesses have you covered there as well.
Visit our Best Of pages for great suggestions for on-the-water fun.
Not all of the fun on Lake Travis is on the water. Shopping, restaurants, vineyards, craft breweries, live music, golf and waterparks line the lake in abundance. Check our Best Of page for great ideas in Lake Entertainment.
If you’d rather not go it alone, Lake Travis has award-winning tour operators. Boating, good eats, and aerial tours can show you the local’s favorites and spectacular views over Lake Travis.
We hope you have a great stay on the lake and look forward to your visit. Please feel free to call us (512) 261-5121 or peruse our site for any further questions you may have.