2nd Annual Chili Cook-Off at The Gar, 1/18!




Event Details


Starts: Jan 18, 2020
Ends: Jan 18, 2020
Where: Gnarly Gar

Join us for our 2nd Annual Gnarly Gar Chili Cook-off Saturday, January 18th beginning at 11am. It’s going to be a great day whether you’re a spectator or participant!

1st Place will receive a Trophy along with bragging rights on permanent display at the Gnarly Gar. Ribbons will be awarded for 2nd and 3rd Places.

Entry Information:

No fee to enter the Chili Cook-off!

Entries must be submitted by January 11, 2020. Email todd@gnarlygar.com to make arrangements or if you have any questions.

Competition Rules:

Entries will be blind-judged by a panel of five (5) Judges. The following rules will be strictly applied:

1. Contestants may be individuals or teams. The number of competitors will be limited to 15 entries.
2. Chili, for this competition, is defined as any kind of meat or combination of meats cooked with chili peppers, various other spices, and other ingredients.
3. Beans are not forbidden, but remember this is Texas! Rice, pasta, and canned chilis are expressly forbidden!
4. Chili is to be brought in a slow-cooker, along with your own extension cord. Electricity will be provided.
5. Each contestant must cook a minimum of two (2) gallons of competition chili (remember you can always freeze remaining). A portion of this amount will be submitted to the judges and the rest will be available to the guests. Keep in mind that there will be a People’s Choice component to the competition, so if you run out you may lose out on potential votes. Guests are only allowed one (1) vote each.
6. Each contestant must bring two (2) copies of the list of ingredients. One (1) will be displayed prominently at their station for the benefit of guests and one (1) will be submitted to the judges. Competitors may be asked to sample their own chili before it is submitted to the judges.
7. Competitors are responsible for supplying their own utensils and products related to their chili submission and maintenance of its proper temperature for serving. The temperature should be 165 degrees by 12pm and maintained at that temperature thereafter. Gar staff will come around at 12pm to check the temperature and drop by periodically throughout the competition. Competitors are responsible for supplying their own condiments and toppings (e.g. cheese, onions, etc.).
8. Spoons and cups for supplying chili to guests will be provided.

Set Up/Tear Down

1. Contestants may start setting up their stations at 11am, 1/2 an hour before doors open, on the day of the event. Stations must be set up by noon. Chili must be ready to distribute to guests promptly at 2pm.
2. At check-in, Competitors will be assigned a contest number, a station, and given the container that will be used to collect the portion submitted to the judges.
3. Competitors are encouraged to decorate their station and are responsible for any decorations or props they wish to display.
4. Starting at 3pm, a member of the Gnarly Gar staff will come by your station. They may ask you to sample your own chili to make sure you are satisfied with your entry. They will then watch you fill the judges’ containers and collect your ingredients list. Please be advised that if the judges container has been altered in any way or filled in the absence of the Gnarly Gar staff member, this may be grounds for disqualification.
5. At the conclusion of the event, each competitor is responsible for cleaning up their station. This includes trash removal. The only items remaining at your station should be the table and chairs provided by the Gnarly Gar.

Judging

1. There will be a panel of five (5) judges and this will be an anonymous, blind-judged competition.
2. Judges will score each competitor on the following five (5) attributes:
-Aroma: chili should smell appetizing.
-Consistency: chili should be a smooth combination of ingredients; not too thin and not too thick.
-Color: chili should look appetizing; a reddish brown appearance is generally traditional and expected.
-Taste: chili should be well seasoned and taste good; important here is the blending of the spices and how well they have permeated the meat; chili pepper taste should be balanced, not overwhelmingly spicy or blandly mild.
-Aftertaste: chili should leave a pleasant taste after swallowing based on the heat created by the blend of spices and chili peppers.
3. Judges’ scores will account for 80% of the competitors’ total score. The other 20% will be based on the People’s Choice scorecards submitted by guests.
4. Results will be announced no later than 4:30pm.

Event Venue


Gnarly Gar
Follow On
Facebook